Individuals and families involved in the criminal justice system are offered rehabilitative and supportive services to help them become productive members of the community. OAR's service area includes Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William Counties.
OAR makes a difference in our entire community. Statistics clearly show that incarceration alone does little to eliminate crime or create a safer community. Recidivism (A tendency to relapse into a former pattern of behavior, esp. a tendency to return to criminal habits) affects not only the offender, but also the victim of the crime, the children and family of the offender, taxpayers, and the community as a whole. OAR provides Opportunities, Alternatives and Resources to rebuild lives and break the cycle of crime. OAR programs and services have broad support in the community. Visit our funding partners page for a list of community supporters.
Highlights of OAR’s Impact (July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2016)
- 3,406 total clients were served by OAR during the past fiscal year
- 128 community volunteers contributed 10,113 hours valued at over $249,178
- 1,188 clients participated in skills-based classes with 81% improving their self-sufficiency skills
- 99 post-release clients obtained employment
- 619 clients received direct assistance to avert a crisis
- 142 service plans were created for reentry clients
- 12 clients were paired with a volunteer mentor with the relationship beginning during incarceration and continuing after release for up to 12 months
- 1,447 family members of an incarcerated loved one received information, referrals, and support in the lobby of the Adult Detention Center
- 151 individuals with domestic violence charges participated in OAR’s state certified Violence Intervention Program. 80% of participants successfully fulfilled the requirements of their program contract and there were 0 new arrests for violence against a family member for 12 months after program completion.
- 869 clients participated in OAR's alternative sentencing program and completed nearly 35,000 hours of community service.
For more information, view OAR's most recent annual report and financial documents.